How to build a brand narrative for a tech company
There is an endless stream of absolute drivel coming out of the marketing, PR, and communications industry. Distinguishable by clever ‘marketing-flecked’ language, this is simply hot air that camouflages inexperience and the absence of robust marketing rigour. The result of this is a default to tactics over strategy and the diminishment of that extraordinary league of women and men who are professional marketers.
Rant aside, let’s be clear that brand narrative is strategic execution while brand storytelling is just good comms.
The power of a well-crafted brand narrative cannot be overstated. I’ve witnessed first-hand the transformative impact a strong brand narrative can have on a tech company’s journey towards success. In this blog, we will consider the lifeblood of a brand narrative, offer valuable tips for creating one, highlight the benefits, explore audience connection strategies, discuss differentiation tactics, and showcase successful brand narrative examples.
What is a brand narrative?
A brand narrative is a cohesive and compelling story that defines a tech company’s identity, values, and value proposition. It embraces, translates, and portrays all the elements we capture in the communication strategy to create an emotional connection with the audience. Think of it as the guiding force that shapes how your brand is perceived in the market. Perception is, after all, everything.
4 Tips for creating a compelling brand narrative:
- Know your audience: Understand your target audience’s pain points, aspirations, and language. Tailor your narrative to resonate with their needs, creating a more personal and engaging connection.
- Authenticity matters: Authenticity builds trust. This means telling the truth, nicely. Craft a narrative that reflects the genuine essence of your tech company. Authenticity fosters credibility and strengthens your brand’s emotional appeal. Look for evidence to underpin your narrative.
- Consistency across platforms: Maintain a consistent narrative across all communication channels. Whether it’s your website, social media, or press releases, a unified message reinforces brand recall. This saves time and money while ensuring each piece of communication reinforces rather than dilutes the message.
- Showcase your values: Tech companies often thrive on innovation and a commitment to a greater cause. Showcase these values in your narrative, highlighting how your products or services contribute to positive change. People buy from people they know, like and trust – people they perceive to be like themselves, so give them something to gravitate towards and aspire to.
3 Benefits of a strong brand narrative:
- Memorability: A compelling narrative makes your brand memorable. It creates a lasting impression in the minds of your audience, setting you apart in the crowded tech landscape.
- Emotional connection: People will remember how you made them feel. A well-crafted narrative elicits emotions, fostering a deeper connection with your audience and making your brand more relatable and memorable.
- Differentiation in a crowded market: In the tech industry, where competition is fierce, a distinct narrative helps you stand out and be heard above the horde. It positions your brand uniquely, making it easier for customers to choose you over competitors.
Connecting with your audience
Engage through storytelling (aka communicate properly): Craft stories that resonate with your audience. Share success stories, challenges you’ve overcome, and the human side of your tech company. Stories captivate and leave a lasting impact. At EC-PR we call this good writing – every piece of communication has a beginning, middle, and end, and it features a hero, villain, plot, and resolution. It’s not complicated!
Interactive content: Leverage interactive content such as webinars, podcasts, or virtual events. Engaging directly with your audience fosters a sense of community and strengthens the bond. Most importantly, it respects the fact that your audience will prefer to consume information in different formats and from different sauces. Don’t treat your audience like bots!
Creating a distinct brand
Value proposition: Identify your tech company’s value proposition (aka USP) and weave it into your narrative. Clearly articulate what sets you apart, whether it’s cutting-edge technology, exceptional customer service, or a unique approach to problem-solving.
Lead statement: Concise is nice. A succinct and memorable articulation of your value proposition can be invaluable in helping your stakeholders remember and understand the value proposition. For example: The instinct to be distinct has been an enormous enabler for our team to remember, create and focus on the value we bring to our clients.
Visual identity: Your brand narrative extends beyond words. Invest in a strong visual identity – from logos to colour schemes – that complements and reinforces your narrative.
Responding to growth
Scalability: A robust brand narrative is scalable. As your tech company grows, your narrative should evolve to reflect new milestones, achievements, and aspirations, ensuring a seamless transition in the eyes of your audience.
Adaptability to market changes: Tech markets are dynamic. Your brand narrative should be adaptable, responding to changes in the industry, consumer preferences, and emerging trends.
Successful brand narrative examples
Apple: Apple’s narrative focuses on simplicity, innovation, and a commitment to challenging the status quo. Their “Think Different” campaign is a testament to how a narrative can redefine an entire industry.
Salesforce: Salesforce has built a narrative around empowering businesses through cloud technology. Their focus on customer success and social responsibility adds a human touch to their tech offerings.
Crafting a compelling brand narrative is an ongoing process that requires a deep understanding of your company’s essence and the continually evolving market(s) you operate in. As you embark on this adventure, remember that a well-executed narrative has the power to shape perceptions, foster loyalty, and drive your tech B2B business towards unparalleled success.
Your 8-Step Communication Strategy Guide
A comprehensive guide to delivering your business goals using intelligent and relevant messaging.